Thursday, August 25, 2011

My Day at the SPEED Studio


Entrance to the SPEED Studio

At the end of last year, someone told me, “You never know when someone high up in NASCAR or SPEED is reading your blog.”  I never gave it a second thought; why would a “higher up” in the sport want (or have time) to read my blog?

A little over a month ago, I was sitting home one night writing an article and checked my e-mail.  “1 new message” popped up.  From whom you may ask?  None other than Race Hub’s own, Steve Byrnes.  He said that he enjoyed reading my blog and admired my ambition and desire.  Overjoyed, I e-mailed back saying thank you.  One thing led to another and he offered to give me a tour of the SPEED Studio since it isn’t open to the public.  Keep in mind this was over a month ago.  Do you know how hard it was for me to keep my mouth shut for over a month?!  Very!

This morning started out with visits to Kyle Busch Motorsports and Penske Racing.  Let me just say that both facilities were absolutely amazing – the grounds were manicured, the actual facility was immaculate, and the workers were extremely friendly.   

Race Hub set
I was scheduled to be at the SPEED Studio at noon, and as the moments ticked by, the anticipation (and some nerves) mounted.  “Was I going to say the wrong thing?” “Would I be in the way?” “What if I couldn’t remember my questions?”  “What if I don’t come across as professional?”  All those questions plagued my mind.  We walked into the building and I came to the realization that this was really happening. 

I signed myself in at the front desk and the nice security guard took us to the Green Room (which had a really cool Race Hub pinball machine in it).  After sitting for a few minutes, Steve Byrnes walked into the room and took me to the set of Race Hub, but not before giving me a tour.  I got to see the room where the director sits where all of the camera monitors are, and  Jimmy Spencer’s set for his famous segment.  Not what I expected at all – quite frankly, I don’t know what I was expecting.  I think I was expecting a few small rooms, but in reality, it was one big room.  I looked up and the ceiling was covered with lights, there were wires scattered all over the floor, and there were a few huge cameras. 

Green Room
As I sat there in awe, watching Larry McReynolds and Steve Byrnes film their segment, I was absorbing everything like a sponge – the way they looked into the camera, how they filmed with sounds bytes, how relaxed they were, and everything else.  My favorite part about the filming process was how they filmed the sounds bytes.  I never knew how they did that, and now I do.  Steve and Larry talked until it was time for the sound byte from the race, then a crew member would tell them how long the byte was then they would pause until the byte was over.  They also have to film Race Hub out of order because they need to film the segments when the guests are available for interviews; this is called “stacking.”

Larry McReynolds and me
After filming the segment, I went back to Steve’s office to ask him a few questions [for this article and my own inquiring mind].  Steve hasn’t always been a NASCAR fan; he grew up playing football, but one summer he went and stayed at his uncle’s house in Florida.   His uncle owned a late model team and went to races with him; that’s when the racing bug bit him.  I also asked Steve, “Who, in NASCAR, in your years of reporting, has impressed you the most that you’ve had the privilege to interview?”  I was expecting him to name one driver, but he went into an explanation, “I interviewed Ned Jarrett – he’s in the Hall of Fame, I’ve interviewed Darrell Waltrip – he’s in the Hall of Fame, I’ve interviewed Dale Earnhardt – he’s in the Hall of Fame.”  “I want to be able to walk through the garage or studio and feel proud with who I am.” He told me, to him, it’s not as important to be popular, as to be respected.  He respects Darrell Waltrip because he’s courageous; he speaks his mind and his opinions.  Steve went on to explain how he learned the most about respect from Dale Sr. 

Steve Byrnes and me
For more pictures from my SPEED Studio visit, some of them are posted below...


Race Hub set

Race Hub set

Race Hub set

Director's Control Room

Steve Byrnes and me

SPEED Sign



3 comments:

  1. I am so happy for You.. Congrats.... !!!! This looks like a Dream Come true!!!.. Keep up the Hard work... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. that is too cool, congrats on going there and glad you had a good morning in Mooresville also, keep up the good work and when you graduate maybe they will hire you as a pit reporter or on-air persona;ity. <3 'd the blog this week

    ReplyDelete