Tuesday, July 24, 2012

AJ Allmendinger Suspended Indefinitely

Photo Credit: Jeff Zelevansky for Getty Images
It was just announced that AJ Allmendinger's B sample failed the random drug test which means he has been indefinitely suspended from NASCAR.  


The drug test was randomly given to Allmendinger at Kentucky Speedway a few weeks ago and his A sample failed.  After opting to have his sample B tested in case of a false positive, the results came in minutes ago that, it too, was in fact, positive; the drug that caused the failure was not released.  

This is NASCAR's official statement: 

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. (July 24, 2012)– AJ Allmendinger, driver of the No. 22 car in the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series, has been suspended indefinitely from NASCAR for violating the sanctioning body’s substance abuse policy.
On July 24, Allmendinger was found to have violated Sections 12-1 (actions detrimental to stock car racing) and 19 (NASCAR’s substance abuse policy) of the 2012 NASCAR rule book.


As outlined in the rule book, NASCAR next will provide Allmendinger a letter outlining a process for reinstatement. By agreeing to the letter, he will be allowed to participate in the Road to Recovery Program.


At around two o'clock this morning, AJ tweeted, "I just want to say thank you first and foremost for all of you sticking by me.  please don't think it means I haven't been reading all of your tweets of support.  And man, it means more than you will ever know.  I'm sorry we even have this going on, but I promise, I will do whatever it takes to get to the bottom of this and get back out there no matter what.  Thanks, guys."  (Note: It read like this, with a few grammatical mistakes so I pieced it all together to be easier to read.)


Does this mean that Sam Hornish, Jr. will be put in the No. 22 for the remainder of the season?  I guess we'll know what Penske Racing's plans are soon enough.


AJ was a cool guy, very friendly, nice to fans, he even let me take random pictures of him at Dover.  I'm actually surprised and saddened at the news, I guess in my head, I was hoping that the first test was a false positive.  In any case, the best of luck to AJ in all his future endeavors.  



No comments:

Post a Comment