Sunday, July 10, 2011

Right Lane to Fame: Garrett Marchant

When you were fourteen, were you focused on your future career?  Chances are, probably not.  This isn’t the case for fourteen-year-old, Roanoke Rapids, N.C., native, Garrett Marchant.  During his first full season, the 2010 season, Garrett brought home nine top-fives and ten top-tens in his first ten starts, not to mention a win in only his fourth start. 

Credit to Garrett Marchant
Tell us about yourself. What series do you race in now?
“My name is Garrett Marchant. 
I’m 14 years old. I’m from Roanoke Rapids, N.C., and I drive in the NASCAR Whelen All American Budweiser Pure Stock Series.”
How did you get started racing & how long have you been racing?

“My dad and granddad raced so it was kind of destined.  This is my second year!”

What do you enjoy most about racing?
“I don’t know honestly, I just enjoy racing and everything to go along with it!”
What is the hardest part of racing for you?
“Trying to catch up with the guys that know what they are doing. When you have a team that’s been in the business for 10 years and one that is starting their first season it’s difficult to find out what they do and how to make your car run just as fast!”
Would you like to eventually move up to one of the higher NASCAR levels?
FOR SURE! That’s my main goal!”
Do you model your career after any current NASCAR driver?
“Currently Denny Hamlin, because when I run good it seems like something always goes wrong.” (laughs)
Do you feel that social media helps you build a fan base and helps get your name out there?
“It surely does! Without that I would have no fans or sponsors.”
Supposedly the only thing on a driver’s mind is winning, is that true? 
“It depends, I have different mindsets for different occasions, but my mindset is gotta win, gotta win, gotta win!”
Photo credit to Garrett Marchant
When Garrett’s not racing, he hosts his own radio show, “For the Win.”  They talk about everything racing and have NASCAR drivers as guests on the show.  I can honestly say I’ve listened to the show before and I've thoroughly enjoyed it. 
In addition to racing and hosting “For the Win,” Garrett is also involved with Racing for a Cause.  This is a charity started by Ricky Springer, a nine-year-old racer, who has an Eosinophilic Disorder, to spread the word about these disorders.  The charity benefits American Partnership for Eosinophilic Disorders (APFED). 
Photo credit to Racing for a Cause

To learn more about anything mentioned in this blog, check out the links below.
To contact Garrett:


·         

No comments:

Post a Comment